Banks House Akaroa is an elegant 2 storey wooden property built in 1877 for a prosperous Le Bons Bay saw miller, James Dalglish.
The family lived in the house with a Governess, so the children could be schooled in Akaroa.
It’s rectangular ‘Italianate’ appearance, bracketed eaves and hipped roof gives it a markedly different appearance from other properties nearby. The veranda posts are a distinguishing mark of many older Akaroa dwellings. The house is listed as a notable Akaroa historic house.
James Dalgish died in 1913 and for many years the house was a family home, a Bed & Breakfast and known locally as ‘The Maples’.
In 2010 and 2011 a series of earthquakes rocked the province of Canterbury and caused considerable damage. Fortunately, Akaroa was on the periphery and because the majority of the buildings were of timber construction most of the damage was related to brick chimneys which were duly dismantled.
The earthquake repairs were completed at 158 Rue Jolie in 2013, with additional upgrades from the new owners Sharon & Noel. The property has been re-roofed, a new coat of paint and a conversion to gas hot water heating. A beautiful large brass door knocker purchased in Cornwall, England finishes the exterior.
Banks House Akaroa is furnished with English antiques and period furniture of the era. Upon entering the house you face a fabulous staircase made from Birds Eye Maple, leading to the upper landing.
The property is a delight with the chandeliers, furnishings and a warm welcoming ambience. A secluded English country garden is at the rear, which also has a self-contained accommodation known as the Garden Room.
Banks House Akaroa is named after Sir Joseph Banks, who sailed with Captain James Cook aboard the Endeavour and from which Banks Peninsula is derived.
Sharon and Noel thought this a fitting tribute to him and the township of Akaroa.